Intel-certified Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure
Don't trust the pretenders - it takes a lot to become Intel-certified. Shell Thunder with Phison SSDs is one of the only Intel-certified Thunderbolt 3 SSD enclosures on the market.
Intel won't certify any enclosure without a specific SSD model in it... and we get it! You need confirmation of the best. So our 0GB Shell Thunder cannot be Intel-certified, but by buying one of our units with a Phison SSD inside, you're guaranteed Intel-certified performance.
Shell Thunder works with any standard NVMe SSD, testing at 2,498 MB/s Read and 2,309 MB/s Write. You can download, edit, and upload whole movies within a few seconds.
*Tested with WD Black SSD 1TB (2018) and MacBook Pro 15 (2018).
Shell Thunder is the only high-performance Intel-certified Thunderbolt 3 enclosure engineered for active cooling with smart fan technology. We stress-tested this design with an Intel SSD by writing 3 terabytes in 60 minutes. The whisper-quiet 4000 RPM fan kept Shell Thunder as cool as the palms of our hands, only activating when needed.
Ideal for M.2 1.3 NVMe SSDs
macOS and Windows compatible, powered by Intel Thunderbolt 3 technology. Shell Thunder is designed for 2280 and 2260 M.2 NVME SSDs.
Thunder is NOT compatible with M.2 SATA SSDs, Apple OEM SSDs, or Fledging Feather SSDs.
Note: Samsung EVO 970 Plus is not fully compatible with Shell Thunder, and has been known to deliver reduced Read and Write speeds.
Rugged, Stylish, Portable
NOW AVAILABLE IN 2 COLORS: Carry your projects, creativity, and fun in your pocket and work wherever you want. Shell Thunder's anodized aluminum case protects it all.
Built for Thunderbolt 3 with All the Tools You Need
The market is full of USB-C enclosures that work in Thunderbolt 3 ports. Almost none are optimized for Thunderbolt 3 ports and speeds. Shell Thunder is shipped Thunderbolt 3-ready with a screwdriver, thermal cooling pad, a Thunderbolt 3 cable, and installation instructions.
We also offer Shell Thunder with an internal capacity if you prefer a plug-and-play solution. Internal SSDs are currently offered in Intel-certified Phison E12S SSDs.
Durable Duo: Shell Thunder + Power Data Cable
Pair your rugged and portable Shell Thunder with an equally durable Power Data Cable. This small and tangle-proof cable can transfer data to any Thunderbolt 3 device at up to 40Gbps. The compact and rugged Cable is available in two sizes: 3.5 inches (90mm) or 5.9 inches (150mm).
- Controller: Alpine Ridge 6 Gen TB3
- Offered Internal SSDs:
- Phison E12S: M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0x4 NVMe 1.3 TLC (Intel-certified)
- Sequential Read: Up to 2,900 MB/s or 2.9 GB/s*
- Sequential Write: Up to 2,500 MB/s or 2.5 GB/s*
- Fan RPM: 4,000
- Fan Decibel: 10-15 dB
- Device Weight: 4.1oz (116 grams)
- Cable Speeds: Up to 40 Gbps
- SSD Form Factor Accepted: NVMe or AHCI m.2 2280 and 2260
- SSD Capacity Supported: Up to 4TB with no performance drops**
- Max Tested Operating Temperature: 102°F/38.9°C. Wrote 4TB in 60 minutes**
*Tested using Western Digital Black SN750 SSD
**Tested using Sabrent 4TB Rocket SSD
Shell Thunder is compatible with Thunderbolt 3 ports.
Shell Thunder is not compatible with USB-C or USB 2.0.
Our Feather SSD product line is not compatible with Shell Thunder.
Every Shell Thunder ships with:
- 1 Shell Thunder Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure (Alpine Ridge 6 Gen Thunderbolt 3 controller, smart cooling fan)
- 1 Thunderbolt 3 cable (22.5in black cable)
- 1 Phillips head screwdriver (2.0x30mm)
- 1 thermal pad (heatsink)
- Screws (4 in the device; 1 spare)
- 1 installation guide and warranty card
- 1-year warranty (seriously, contact us about anything at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.